Thursday, August 26, 2010

Should Muslims become Vegetarian?

Joseph Mayton writes a thought provoking article in the Guardian about the concept of vegetarianism within Islam and why Muslims eat so much meat. He cites as his authority Sheikh Hamza Yusuf someone I have a lot of admiration for along with verses from the Quran.

I have to say I'm not convinced with the argument that eating less meat is more Islamic. While there are health benefits for those with high cholesterol avoiding red meat Islam does not advocate vegetarianism not that I have any problem with a Muslim avoiding meat for compassionate grounds. My initial suspicion is the animal lobby seem to now be equating Muslims as a problem in terms of our meat consumption and appear to be attempting to establish an Islamic argument - where none exists for the advocacy of Vegetarianism.

No comments:

Post a Comment