Monday, August 16, 2010

Domino's Pizza removes Halal Menu

The Torygraph is gleefully reporting that Domino's Pizza are scrapping their halal menu option due to poor sales.

I'm actually in two minds about this because ultimately it's Domino's loss rather than ours. My reasoning being that there is already a vast array of halal pizza options on the high street for Muslims particularly in London usually run by small Muslim retailers, so one of the big boys pulling out will help maintain the small independent Muslim Pizza retailer. However, from the alternative consumer point of view I'm all for competition and the impact this has on prices.

Where Domino's went wrong was to assume that Muslim consumers like myself would ditch for example my usual Pizza outfit in West London where I am so well known that the moment I walk into the shop the order is already taken. Muslim consumer loyalty like any loyalty has to be earned which the short term business model did not appear to take into consideration.

More generally while all can remember a Pizza Hut advert involving the England calamity boys Stuart Pearce and Chris Waddle who can remember a Domino's advert for Halal? For those who need a basic business lesson at Domino's you may like to know that marketing also helps sales.

No comments:

Post a Comment