Sunday, December 5, 2010

The case of American Muslim Maria Hardman, Hijab, Alcohol and a crashed scooter

Help me out here guys because if I'm honest I'm struggling with the case of Maria Hardman an American Muslim revert who explains in her own words why she understandably refuses to take her Hijab off for a picture in Jail.

Naturally, my curiosity got the better of me and I wanted to establish why Maria was required to take a jail picture. Apparently, it transpires that although only aged 19 she went to a party, had punch which contained alcohol and for good measure managed to crash her scooter on the way home when it was established the she was driving while under the influence.

I think a Muslim sisters civil right to retain her dignity and faith by maintaining she wears the Hijab is of paramount importance however, should we also take some responsibility by ensuring we don't allow ourselves to end up in compromising situations notwithstanding the young age of Maria?

** update**

Interesting view on Sister Maria at Lagniappe's Lair

No comments:

Post a Comment